Osteoporosis Medications & Your Dental Health - Elite Dental Care TN | Elite Dental Care TN
(865) 482-1731 ph

Elite Dental Care TN

Osteoporosis Medications & Your Dental Health

Recent news reports have alarmed & confused people who take bisphosphonates (Fosamax, Boniva) to prevent or treat osteoporosis. A condition known as osteonecrosis of the jaw (O.N.J.) has been reported in some patients who take these medications. Bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw, or BONJ, is a rare but serious condition that can cause severe damage to the jawbone.

According to the American Dental Association, the overwhelming majority (94 %) of people diagnosed with BONJ are cancer patients who are receiving or did receive repeated high doses of bisphosphonates through an intravenous (IV) infusion. The other 6% of people with BONJ were taking oral bisphosphonates for treatment of their osteoporosis.

Your chance of developing BONJ if you are taking bisphosphonate medications for osteoporosis is unknown. However, researchers agree that the chance appears to be very small.

For more information, visit the ADA’s Web site, www.ada.org, and the National Osteoporosis Foundation’s Web site, www.nof.org.

7/20/2009

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.